ELLE SERA BELLE by Ema

Pages

  • Home
  • About
  • Outfits
  • Recipes
  • Life
  • Tutorials
  • Contact
  • SHOP

Wednesday The Tartan Bag & What She wears Link up - Pop of Color Edition







Hi lovelies,

I hope you are having a great week so far.
Today I chose to talk about my favorite prints this season, TARTAN and PLAID.

Some call it Plaid, some call it Tartan. I just know that I have seen these two types of fabrics in abundance during this Fall and Winter season. And I am sure we will see them even more in the months to come. But what is the difference between tartan and plaid? Internet comes handy and  a little research informed me that the correct way to call the pattern of the bag and shoes that I am wearing in these pictures, is tartan not plaid.

Here is a little explanation I found helpful.

Tartan is a criss cross cloth of horizontal and vertical lines that are in different colors. On the other hand a plaid is a pleated cloth that is put together with a kilt.
Tartans and plaids are historically associated with Scottish clans, particularly the Highlanders during the medieval period. While the terms "tartan" and "plaid" are interchangeable as fabric names in modern times, tartans signify a Scottish family's clan, while plaids are now considered "blankets" or "cloaks" in Scotland that are worn as kilts.


In the United States, the word plaid is a generic word that describes checked patterns of all kinds. Here in the States, we generally use “plaid” to describe pretty much any such pattern, and “tartan” to describe a pattern with a specific Scottish symbolic meaning.


I am sure that even if we use these terms incorrectly, won't be the end of the world, but I found this little explanation interesting. 
I hope you did too.
Have you been a lot into tartan and plaids this season? and How have you styled it?
Let me know!


Also I am linked with What she Wears. This month's challenge is Pop of Color. Check out these wonderful bloggers and have fun making new friends.

post signature

18 comments

  1. You look stunning! I love that green blazer/jacket :)

    www.fashchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Abigail! You're to sweet!

      Delete
  2. that jacket is so fab! loved the little tutorial on plaid/tartans -- i've been wondering what the difference was.

    xo,
    gabby
    Like A Little Fox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabby! I fell in love with that jacket the moment I saw it! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Emushe kjo lloj cope qe shpjegon ti gjithmon I vjen modes , dhe mua me pelqen..a e mban mend kur ke qen e vogel ke pasur nje te till fustan dhe nje fund e jelek qe ti kisha qepur :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emushe kjo lloj cope qe shpjegon ti gjithmon I vjen modes , dhe mua me pelqen..a e mban mend kur ke qen e vogel ke pasur nje te till fustan dhe nje fund e jelek qe ti kisha qepur :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigurisht qe e mbaj mend mi mamushi! Me pelqente shume! Sic me pelqen cdo gje nga dora jote. puc

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the help on plaid vs. tartan - I had wondered about that. Both are a favorite trend of mine - and I like how you mixed it with green!

    Lisa Daily Style Finds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Lisa! You have a great blog yourself :)

      Delete
  6. I love your sense of style :) Very inspiring!

    http://cdaydreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look amazing! You can really show this look on a meeting with friends and even if It's casual it still has style :)

    From Making Things Alive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about this look; it's so versatile! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I love that bag! So wintery and cozy looking;) I am a huge fan of plaid and have a ton of it, but do not own anything tartan..yet;) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for always having great themes :) I love linking up! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. This outfit is gorgeous and I have some SERIOUS hair envy! Thanks for linking up with What She Wears, hope to see you next month!

    -Jalynn
    www.theredclosetdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think plaid is absolutely perfect for this time of year! Love those shoes!! And you hair looks amazing!! Thanks for linking up with What She Wears!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look gorgeous! I love your green blazer, such a great color and of course I am a huge fan of the plaid too :) Thanks for sharing with Three-fer Thursday.
    xo Bethany
    www.perfectlycoutured.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...